Washington Battery Stewardship Activities
Washington Small Rechargeable Battery Stewardship Act
The 2013 Washington Small Rechargeable Battery Stewardship Act was introduced Jan. 24, but did not move out of the Senate before the 2013 session cutoff date. The bill will be carried forward into the 2014 legislative session, which began January 13, 2014.
- House Bill 1364: passed the House on March 6 as Enrolled Substitute HB 1364 and was heard in Senate Environment on March 20. Watch TVW video clips of hearings in the House Environment Committee Feb. 7 and Feb. 19, and the House Appropriations Subcommittee on General Government Feb. 23, 2013.
- Summary of ESHB 1364 (PDF) as passed by the House on March 6
- Senate Bill 5457: died. Watch TVW video of the Feb. 13 hearing and Feb. 21 hearing in the Senate Environment Committee.
- Section by Section Bill Summary (Word)
- Bill Supporters
Tools for Local Government Support of Rechargeable Battery Stewardship
The NWPSC has created a sample resolution, letter in support of a rechargeable battery stewardship system and fact sheets for use by local governments. These Word documents can be customized for your local government or jurisdiction:
- sample Resolution in Support (Word) of rechargeable battery stewardship
- sample Letter in Support (Word) of rechargeable battery stewardship
- Why We Need A Rechargeable Battery Recycling Law in Washington State: Factsheet for the general public (PDF)
- Why We Need A Rechargeable Battery Recycling Law in Washington State: Factsheet for government agencies (PDF)
Industry Support for Rechargeable Battery Stewardship
Call2Recycle is the rechargeable battery industry's voluntary stewardship program that is supporting a bill to authorize the rechargeable battery industry to manage and finance the recycling of used rechargeable batteries. Call2Recycle created the following factsheets: